The Tohill family enjoyed high status in this locality being Erenaghs (Ecclesiastical Stewards) of the Parish of Desertoghill, a parish which takes its name from them. Dr John Tohill, Bishop of Down and Connor from 1908 to 1914 was a native of the Parish of Tamlaght O’Crilly. He was born in Gortmacrane (now in Kilrea Parish) on 23rd December, 1855. He studied Classics at Tirgarvil School and in the Vicinage (now St Malachy’s College, Belfast) and entered Maynooth College on 21st September, 1875. He was appointed professor in the Diocesan College in Belfast before he was ordained by Dr Dorrian, Bishop of Down and Connor on 22nd September, 1878. After a year as curate at Dunsfort, he was re-appointed to the Diocesan College and in 1908 was consecrated.